June 10, 2004

Phase 2

House guests and work meetings make for a slow garden blog. But I did get a chance last weekend to do some refurbishing.

Jettisoned the blue mystery flowers that didn't live and planted some browallia in the center bed, along with some alyssum, the first flower I ever successfully grew.

Dug a new bed in the front, in which I planted the calladium bulbs my dad sent. A few days later, someone else in the building also contributed two hostas, much to my surprise.

In the problematic "shade bed," I added some pachysandra and bugleweed, as well as another pulmonaria to balance things out. My goal is for that bed NOT to look like the onset of nuclear winter this year.

We mulched for the first time ever. I'm not sure why this didn't happen previously. It may be my aversion to the ugly wood-chip mulch that is so common. We found some cocoa-bean mulch, recommended by a neighbor, and hope that does the trick. It certainly looks better.

In other news, Cocokat has some nice garden pictures of East Windbreaker, WI. And I need to check out the GardenWeb.

Posted at June 10, 2004 07:07 PM | az